About Me

My photo
I am a 24 year old woman who has been battling chronic back and neck pain for the past six years. I am writing this blog to help others and to educate others about Peripheral Nerve Field Stimulation (PNFS) which is a new application for Neuromodulation technology that treats pain. My trial PNFS implant is scheduled for Monday, July 6th, 2009 and the final surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, July 21st, 2009. I will be documenting my journey through the process. _____________________________________

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Party Never Ends (if you consider ANOTHER SURGERY a party!)

So I went in to see my SJM rep today because my right lead is still acting up. Ever since I had the lead turned up at my last appointment with my rep's assistant I have been having severe spasms and right shoulder pain. I recently realized that I am not even feeling any stimulation on the right side, only spasms. So I have had it turned down all the way.

Jennifer, my SJM rep, started by turning all the leads completely off. She then proceeded to slowly turn up the right lead and told me to tell her when I first felt the stimulation. Well, I didn't even have to tell her because as soon as she turned it up, my right shoulder shot up in the air into a painful spasm. She then tried at least 30 different times to light up the lead in different ways which all resulted with the same spasm. After that she explained to me that instead of the stimulator affecting my peripheral nerves like it is supposed to, it is reaching my motor nerves instead which create the spasms. She said I likely have not noticed this until now because I had the right lead powered so low until my previous reprogramming. The motor nerves of the muscle are being reached because the lead is placed too deep. This can only be corrected by removing the lead in revision surgery and placing it in a more shallow position.

Yay me. So much for my upcoming wedding dress shopping ... Surgery number 3 here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment