About Me

My photo
I am a 24 year old woman who has been battling chronic back and neck pain for the past six years. I am writing this blog to help others and to educate others about Peripheral Nerve Field Stimulation (PNFS) which is a new application for Neuromodulation technology that treats pain. My trial PNFS implant is scheduled for Monday, July 6th, 2009 and the final surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, July 21st, 2009. I will be documenting my journey through the process. _____________________________________

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Two Week Post Op VIsit

Tomorrow I have my two week post-op visit. I just wanted to share how I am doing and reflect back on the surgery and recovery thus far.

I am still quite tender at the battery implant site. I have been using my pillow less and less for driving and working though. I love all of the comments I get walking into the office .. like, "Hey where's the sleepover at?!" or "Wow, you get to take naps at work?". I usually just ignore them because I don't feel like explaining my recent surgery! I still bring it to work everyday just in case I really need it. I have been noticing more muscle spasms and pain in my upper back now that some of the battery pain has subsided. I have done really well with pain this week. It no longer feels like my skin is ripping apart. It is just tender now. Most of the upper back pain I am dealing with now is related to the right shoulder because the stimulation is not very strong. When I had the trial implant I had difficulty feeling the stimulation in my left shoulder. I thought it was due to placement, but the doctor said it was because my left shoulder was where my worst pain is. I now know this is not the case because it is the opposite now with poor stimulation on the right instead. There is a clear difference in how the stimulation feels in the left versus the right shoulder. Hopefully we can try some new programs tomorrow to see if that changes anything. Otherwise, it would have to be corrected with another surgery. Which honestly wouldn't be that bad. The placement of the leads, anchoring of the leads to the muscle, and external stitches at the lead site caused me minimal to no pain at all in the grand scheme of things. I rarely even noticed the stitches on my upper back. It is only the battery that is bothersome. Perhaps it is better if you have more junk in your trunk for this reason! Lol. I will let you all know how the appointment goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment